January through March the club meetings are held
the fourth Wednesday at the Flying Artichoke Restaurant located at the
Salinas Airport Terminal, 40 Mortensen Ave., Salinas, CA 93905, at 7:00
PM. March through October the meetings are held on the fourth Saturday at
the flying field, 12:00 Noon in conjunction with our Ruddergate (see
Activities below). There is no meeting in November. The Annual Christmas
Dinner/Meeting is held the first Saturday of December at the Flying
Artichoke, social hour beginning at 6:00 PM, dinner being serve at 7:00
PM, and is a family affair. Invitations are sent out for the Christmas
Dinner/Meeting and reservations are required.
At these meetings the club conducts business, plans upcoming activities,
and reports on recent activities. Sometimes a program features a special
guest or topic, but the main emphasis is on show-and-tell presentations by
club members. Coffee is provided for a coffee break. Visitors are always
welcome at these meetings. The Board of Governors also holds quarterly
business meetings (see schedule of events), to help reduce the time
necessary for business at the monthly club meetings.
Our flying field is located at 24200 Chualar Dump Road,
in Chualar Ca.
Meeting: Instead of a regular monthly
meeting in December, a special Christmas Dinner Meeting is held. In recent
years these have been held at the Elks Lodge in Salinas, The Naval Postgraduate
School in Monterey and The Landing Zone Restaurant at the Salinas Airport.
A social hour is followed by dinner.
emphasize good-time fly-ins and get-togethers rather than serious competition
events. The yearly activities typically include the following events:
- Fly-Ins: Other clubs are invited to participate in a Giant Scale and a Toys-For-Tots Fly-In. The Toys-For-Tots Fly-In is "fly what you have" on the first Saturday of December, the landing fee being a unwrapped toy for botha a boy and a girl The toys are given to the Church in Chualar to be distributed to needy children in Chualar. (See Community Service below) We also host a Memorial Fun Fly some time in July (see schedule of events) where we recognize our deceased members in conjuction with a club hosted lunch.
- Float Flies: Two or three weekend float flys,
for SAM members and invited guests only, are held each year at Lake San Antonio in South
Monterey County. A wide variety of float planes are seen, from trainers
to Giant Scale Schneider Cup race planes. Many members also travel to
float flys hosted by other clubs.
- Glider Flies: Are held at our field on the
First Saturday of May, June, July, and August. Additionally, many members
also take advantage of some great slope soaring at beach venues along
the Monterey-Santa Cruz coastline.
- Fun Flies: Club fun flys are occasionally held.
These are not the specialized plane, serious competition type events,
but consist of fun events where luck can be as important as skill. Novice
pilots are encouraged to participate in these events.
- Special Events: The Club usually host one Pylon Race Event and two IMAC Contests during the years. See the Schedule of Events for those dates.
- Ruddergate Parties: Once a month, during the
good weather months, a ruddergate (aeronautical tailgate) potluck picnic
is held at the flying field. The club furnishes barbecued hamburgers
or hot dogs and beverages, and members bring a dish to share. These
are popular events and are often combined with special events. Usually held
on the fourth Saturday of the month, but check the events calendar.
- Community Service: The club has participated
in various community events. A wide variety of model aircraft have been
put on static display at the annual California International Air show
in Salinas, which is held to raise funds for local charities. Model
aircraft have been displayed and flown at Boy Scout-A-Ramas, and youth
groups hosted at the club flying field. Proceeds from the club's Memorial
Fly-In have been donated to various charities, and each December a special
fly-in produces a large number of toys for distribution to local disadvantaged
MEET THE OFFICERS
Board of Governors